EVRAZ IS RUSSIA’S No 1 COKING COAL PRODUCER
- Market share of Russia’s high-vol coking coal grades by volumes51% semi-hard coking coal33% hard coking coal
- High-quality product portfolio with >80% of hard coking coal and semi-hard coking coal
- Diversified client portfolio
How EVRAZ mines its coal – safety and efficiency are the top priorities
EVRAZ key mining methods
- Ensuring adequate air supplies to reduce methane to safe levels
- Ensuring that coal faces are degassed prior to beginning work
- Preventing self-combustion of coal seams
- Implementing measures to reduce injuries from tight working spaces and risk of collapse
EVRAZ has the following programmes to improve mining efficiency:
- Increasing working time at the coal face
- Increasing tunnelling rates, introducing modern tunnelling and roof-bolting equipment
EVRAZ uses two mining methods in the following mines:
No1 Longwall method:
- Yerunakovskaya VIII
- Raspadskaya mine
- MUK-96 Put on care and maintenance in 2015
It is a sophisticated machine with a rotating drum that moves mechanically back and forth across a wide coal seam.
Hanging diesel-hydraulic locomotive
As the longwall mining equipment moves forward, overlying rock that is no longer supported by coal is allowed to fall behind the operation in a controlled manner.
No2 Room-and-pillar method:
- Raspadskaya Koksovaya mine
The simultaneous operation of a set of equipment allows for an optimal workload and high productivity.
The room-and-pillar method is used where the coal face has been damaged and additional equipment is needed to work the coal face.
Razrez Raspadsky is currently EVRAZ’ only open-pit coal mining operation.
- Much safer than underground mining
- Flexible volumes depending on coal market demand
EVRAZ is implementing the following modern technology and programmes to improve efficiency:
- 3D geological modelling creates optimal mining plans
- Automated dispatching system reduces empty runs and increases equipment utilisation rates
- Equipment repair and replacement programme improves technical readiness rate